Disney’s Imagineers Honored Once More With Their Very Own Headstones at the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland Park.
It has been 15 years since park visitors saw them dotting the hillside of the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland Park, and thanks to recent efforts of the park’s management, the icons of Disney magic and creativity, the legendary Imagineers, is now honored and remembered once again just in time for Halloween. Previously replaced by pumpkin heads along the gardens of the Haunted Mansion back in 2001, the original headstones of Claude Coats, Marc Davis and X Atencio among others went missing and could no longer be found at that time. The good news though is that they are back as announced by Kim Irvine, art director for Disneyland Park. Watch this.
According to Disney Parks Blog, the following new headstones are set up for the following Disney Imagineers, in tribute to their boundless creativity and passion for their work. Plus, it comes with a rather humorous epitaph.
Claude Coats (lead designer – specializing in backgrounds and environments, he also developed the Omnimover layout)
- At Peaceful Rest Lies Brother Claude, Planted Here Beneath This Sod.
Marc Davis (lead designer – specializing in character design and sight gags)
- In memory of our Patriarch, Dear Departed Grandpa Marc.
X Atencio (script and song)
- Requiescat Francis Xavier, No time off for good behavior R.I.P.
Bill Martin (concept architect)
- Here Lies A Man Named Martin, The Lights Went Out on this Old Spartan.
Dave Burkhart (models)
- Dear Departed Brother Dave, He Chased a Bear into A Cave.
Yale Gracey (special effects and illusions)
- Master Gracey Laid to Rest, No Mourning Please, at His Request. Farewell.
Bob Sewell (models)
- R.I.P. Mister Sewell, The victim of a dirty duel, Peaceful rest.
Chuck Myall (show designer)
- R.I.P., in memoriam Uncle Myall, Here you’ll lie for quite a while.
Gordon Williams (sound and Audio-Animatronics system)
- Good Friend Gordonm Now you’ve Crossed the River Jordan.
Cliff Huet (architecture/interiors)
- Rest in Peace Cousin Huet, We All Know You Didn’t Do It.
Wathel Rogers (figure animation)
- Here Rests Wathel R. Bender, He Rode to Glory on a Fender.
Fred Joerger (models/effect modeling)
- Here Lies Good Old Fred, A Great Big Rock Fell on His Head, R.I.P.
For more information, be sure to drop by Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion website for more information and other tour details.